Positively Oberlin

Our MISSION is to promote the sustainable growth and prosperity of the Oberlin Community.

To:  Oberlin 501(c)3 Non-Profit Organizations

Announcing the 2015 Oberlin Promotions Grant Applications

Applications must be returned by 5 p.m., February 20, 2015.

Download the application under "Hot Topics" on this page.

Respecting the Past... Enhancing the Present... Crafting the Future!

We are partners - individuals, businesses, and community organizations - working together to create a vibrant, resilient and prosperous community for all who live, learn, play, work, shop and invest in Oberlin.

Thank You to our Funders:

The Nord Family Foundation, The Community Foundation of Lorain County, The City of Oberlin and, of course, our partners who believe in and support our mission!


Preferred Care at Home of Lorain County
Contacts: Amy Irish or Stephanie Saunders
Phone: 440-647-5027

Preferred Care at Home of Lorain County is a licensed, insured and bonded Home Care Company offering quality care at home 24/7. Since 1984 the founders have had the privilege of partnering with thousands of families, providing that extra care that is needed to maintain independence and dignity in the comfort and security of their home.

For as low as $9 per hour, those in need can receive reliable and compassionate care in their home, or wherever they call home. Compared to consumer Health Ratings average prices for nursing homes at $210 per day and home care aides at $19 per hour, our live-in service offers a cost-effective alternative.

Please welcome this new OBP Partner. More information about them can be found in the Business Directory under the Health and Fitness category.


Application for 2015 Oberlin Promotions Grant
- PDF Download


The Top 5 Customer Retention Marketing Tactics

The probability of selling to an existing customer is 60-70%. The probability of selling to a new prospect is 5-20% (credit: Marketing Metrics).  Research also shows that a 10% increase in customer retention results in a 30% increase in the value of the company (credit: Bain and Co.).  Many marketing plans are so focused on customer acquisition that they largely ignore customer retention.  Here are some ideas to help you kick-start your customer retention marketing:


1.   Regular Communication with Customized Content and Special Offers – This is the cornerstone of any good customer retention program and careful attention should be paid here.  Most companies have some sort of newsletter to communicate with existing customers but fewer are actively making offers to their current client base that are customized according to what is already known about the customer.  


2.   Customer service – Poor customer service accounts for 70% of customer loss.  Marketing should take that number very seriously and work with the support team to deliver content that can help the service folks and sales staff do their job.  


3.   Listen (and then talk) – The overwhelming majority of unhappy customers will never communicate their dissatisfaction with you.  Regularly checking in on customers will help you to see signs of an impending departure while there’s still time to fix problems.                    


4.   Loyalty programs, appreciation awards and customer referral rewards – rewarding customers for referring you new business or for repeat buys is always a good idea.  Even in markets where that isn’t appropriate you can still give customers an award to recognize them (and give them something to brag about).


5.   Bring Your Customers Together – at large companies an annual customer conference tends to be one of the most successful marketing tactics done.  Companies with smaller customer bases and budgets are doing similar things by creating online spaces (in the form of forums, custom social networks, facebook or LinkedIn groups, etc) where customers can connect, share their experiences and learn from each other. "Customer Appreciation" events work very well, too.




Ober Heritage Center Community Award Nominations
Deadline February 2, 2015 - Nominate individual, organization or business.  Categories include read more

Genealogy Drop-In Help
2/05/2015 - 6:30 - 8 p.m.
Volunteers from the Oberlin African-American Genealogy and History Group will assist you with starti read more

On the Home Front - Civil War family letters, songs and images.
2/05/2015 - 7:15 pm
An eye-witness view from the Civil War home front presented by folksinger/author (and Oberlin Herita read more

Genealogy Drop-In Help
2/09/2015 - 6:30 - 9 pm
Volunteers from the Oberlin African-American Genealogy and History Group will assist you with starti read more